In 1923 after the initiative of "Alliance Francaise", a memorial plaque was placed on the facade of the house of Mavridis in Old Town. On the marble slab it is written in French that the poet Lamartine stayed in this house when returning from the Orient. Numerous representatives of the French government, Bulgarian schools and the French college in the city held a procession to the house, where the plaque was officially inaugurated.
Inscription Lamartine’s house
The house of the rich merchant Georgi Mavridis was built in 1829-1830 and today it is better known as Lamartine's house.